Tuesday 10 December 2019

Pannal and another book

I am going to write another book about Pannal. What it was like as a village with village shops, The two wars right up until now how it has changed. My other two books on Pannal are now out of print so it is about time we had another. I wrote the first ever books on Pannal. Over the years I have found out so much about this area. I am the Pannal historian and the Pannal Golf Club historian. It has changed over the years would we say for the better I will leave that up to you. I remember when Harpers had the farm on Main Street and the cows used to be driven up or down the village. One time they decided not to walk down the road but to come down through our gardens that was when none of the houses had a stone wall and a pavement our front gardens went right out to the edge of the pavement and we all had larch trees there until a compulsory purchase order by Harrogate Borough Council took part of our garden and felled all the trees in order to have the pavement and the road widened. There was also the time a vast swarm of bees descended on our houses and covered the front windows. The Queen bee was eventually found by the bee keeper and harmony was restored. Another event that happened when Rosedale was built people from the Main Street end together with people from part of Main Street after their evening meal used to have a walk down to the church and back again stopping to have conversations with each other. This of course was on summer evenings. This event only carried on for a couple of years but was very pleasant and a way of getting to know your neighbours.
So there we are a topic for next year. I find this village very interesting and I hope I can convey that to you all.
Tigs and Marble are trying to convey to me how fed up they are with this weather. Yes they are getting through and I agree with them.
Had our Christmas lunch at the Golf Club today which, as always, was a very nice "do"
Compliments of the season. Enjoy your Christmas with your families.. All my family will be here which is very lovely.A Happy peaceful and healthy New Year to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.