Tuesday 23 January 2024

Pannal research plus

 I have been contacted, by his grandaughter, in regards to an A Boty who attended Pannal Ash College  in 1921 when he was fourteen.As I have all the papers and documents of this College I could give her the answer to all her queries together with a photograph of her grandfather as a young boy and also told her he had a brother who also attended the College.  Pannal Ash College founded in 1870 under the name of Southern College later becoming Pannal Ash College purchased in 1897 by Walter S Hill then in 1946 purchased by West Riding Police Authority as a Police Training School. In 1939 it was requisitioned at 24 hours notice by the Ministry of Works and occupied by the Royal Air Force until 1945. The staff and pupils had been transferred to Newburgh Priory. it was purchased by the Home Office as Police Training College. Sold in 2014 for housing and in 2014 I had the War Memorial Library which was built in 1925 and opened by the Earl of Harewood in1926 listed and good job I did as once when I was passing I saw lorries all round the Memorial Library and went up to see what was happening only to be told they were preparing to demolish it. Suffice it to say I had that stopped. Permission now January 2024 for building work to start. I am sorry to see that happening as with all the housing being built a school is desperately needed. Together of course with a hospital and more doctors surgeries. I do a number of queries re Pannal and Pannal people and I have never been stumped yet.

Another one I have had recently was of Black Wood at the end of Pannal Golf Club going towards the bypass.  Has anyone heard the tale of the mysterious Black Dog. When I was young and lived at Kirkby Overblow I heard tales of it from very old people who lived next door to us at Maltkiln Cottages. Has anyone heard of the Black Dog that is seen then vanishes? Let me know if you have as it has been seen recently and then vanished. 

Nancy Downey email me to say that the powers that be have had a change of heart and the Neighbourhood News will once again be printed in the Harrogate Advertiser. 

Thinking recently of all the people I knew in the early 1960s in Pannal. All sadly gone but Ken Walker that had Walker's Butchers I am pleased to say still with us. Pannal was really a village then and now a number of the inhabitants have all changed  but it is still the Pannal that we love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.