Monday 30 September 2013

Pannal news and events

First of all thank you Mrs Brown? of Harlow Hill for the great big bundle of stamps. Yes, I am still collecting them for my friend.  Over the summer I have had a number of people knocking on my door to ask if I know about their relatives who used to live in Pannal. Fortunately I have been able to help them all. This is what happens when you have lived in a place nearly all your life and are nosey. I think that goes with the territory of being a journalist. I have always been a "nice" one by that I mean when I interview people I do not write anything that would upset them. One lady who purchased one of my books because the relative she had come to see my about was featured in it emailed me to say she had the surprise of her live when looked through the book she found a photo of the Johnson Family Band who were also related to her and did I have anymore photographs. I did and sent them to her. When I write this blog I do not know who reads it and I would love to have comments from you. Go on please reply to me and tell me anything otherwise I sit here typing away not knowing if I am writing rubbish or is it enjoyed. Second thought some of it is rubbish. I am doing three talks this month on Pannal and its people and places. 2nd Starbeck Methodist Church, 16th Woodlands Methodist Church and 21st Gracious Street Methodist Church 7.30pm, 8pm and I think 7.30pm waiting for this one to confirm time. I am still meeting people that say "Oh I do miss your column". Which is lovely. I miss it in a way but I do have so much extra time now and I will write this blog. Sadly a number of my readers do not have a computer.  My vertigo is still rubbish so I am off to try Epley (think spelt correctly) treatment as prescribed by my doctor. If anyone has heard of this or had it let me know please as this is unknown territory. The big news of the week is of course Dunlopillo who have received outline planning for 120 houses. I would have liked a Business Park there as if we want a tin of paint etc  the car has to come out. One good thing is the horrible Dunlopillo building will come down. I remember the railway cottages that were where the car park is now. The Art Deco building (where Bintex started) the façade is being kept. I am very lucky to have amongst my many, many papers photographs and brochures of both Bintex and Dunlop Latex Foam. In a few years time Pannal will have changed can we cope? When one looks around the surrounding villages they still are villages with very little new buildings whereas Pannal!!!!! It is such a pity that the Councillors do not like Pannal and also such a shame that our local Councillors Matt Hill and Sharon Bentley did not attend the planning meeting. One of the most important in Pannal's history.

1 comment:

I would love to hear any comments that you have.