Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Pannal - What a summer

 It has been a fantastic summer. I have loved it. Let us hope we have a good Autumn as that is what we are in now. All the children and grandchildren have been up Alex my oldest grandchild got a First at Newcastle Uni.  Jake and Leonie the twins had good GCSE results. Bethany and Daniel love school. They do not get that from me as I did not. I was taught by nuns from five years old until I left to go to Uni.. Schools are so different now and the pupils seem to enjoy going.

What devastation re Yorkshire Water Spring Lane fields and the Crimple Valley. We also had the water being bright green episode. I get a number of people come to ask me for help as they "do not know who else to turn to" they say you have been here a long time and will know what to do" Apart from being Pannal's historian I am also a journalist and have a number of contacts so I normally know what to do.  The green water was reported to me and it was sorted but if Yorkshire Water had informed us they were going to turn Clark Beck, Pannal Stream and the River Crimple green and "it was harmless" that would not have caused villagers to panic. 

I was sent the following by a friend:

STRANGE THINGS THAT START EMERGING IN LATER LIFE:

Feet are further down the legs

Doctors start practising at the age of 12

Sofas are deeper

Names are less memorable

Keys, glasses and books disappear

Shoe soles are more slippery

Jar lids are tighter

Shopping is heavier

Noses drip

Being called dear isn't nearly as complimentary as it once was 

My American friend Melissa whom I first met on the No 36 bus and who lived in North Carolina and I said to her I have friends from Harrogate ICI who went out there, David and Gwen Morgan and she said I knew them. My kids were friendly with their kids. What was the chance of that eh. Melissa, husband and family have bought a house in Pannal Green and will live here and also have a place in North Carolina.. Welcome to Pannal Melissa and family. 

I was asked the history of the Mill Pond on Mill Lane and who owns it .It belonged to Bill Bentley of Pannal Hall who sold it in 1970 to the Pannal Mill Dam Association which is/was the houses round the Mill Pond. Geoffrey Clark of Mill Cottage (recently sold) was Chairman  I knew Geoffrey and his widow Diana very well as we were members of Pannal Golf Club. It was drained many years ago because it was polluted by Dunlopillo but has unfortunately silted up again and I passed it a couple of days ago and it is in the worst state that it has ever been in but help will be at hand and we shall have our Mill Pond and the ducks back again.

Tigs has had a great summer too. She is a very affectionate cat and I had to pick her up and bring her home last week as she followed me down to the Church patio that I was tidying up. I also clipped all the ivy from around the Main Street sign on the bridge that was hidden under it. Wonder who agrees with me that it was not the best decision that Harrogate is now with North Yorkshire as I feel they do not know or care about Harrogate. As for Pannal - Where is that?? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.