Tuesday 15 May 2012

This week in Pannal

Yesterday I golfed at Ripon. The sun shone. It was a bit windy but ok. Today at Pannal no sun, a very cold wind and I was frozen. Been worse if it had rained I suppose. Had a Pannal Village Society meeting last night and one of the subjects was fairy lights on the trees on Pannal Green. I found the set of lights from the large tree in the middle of the green all broken and in the bin by the church car par. Did the wind blow them off or were they taken off. We do not know so now we have to buy more. I received an e-mail from Moira Holmes nee Vasey the grandaughter of Bernard and Elizabeth Cobb who lived at 39 Station Road. Bernard was a Methodist and knew all about methodism in Pannal and also Pannal's history. I used to visit him in the 1970 and we would chat about life in Pannal. Moira was born at her grandparents house then her parents moved to Lincoln. Mother died young in 1957. Moira and her sister Brenda came back to Pannal. Dad remarried and Moira and her sister moved to Starbeck She attended Starbeck Primary, then Harrogate High School which she left in 1969. Met her husband Colin. Settled in the Abingdon area until they emigrated to Canada as newly-weds in 1974. They have two daughters and live in Manitoba. I have sent her my Postcards from Pannal book which I am sure will bring back happy memories. Remember John Scott the Vicar at St Roberts church in 1978 shall write a bit about him in another blog.