Thursday 23 July 2020

Pannal and development

I went up to have a look at Pannal House Farm and met Iain McGregor on his digger in the front garden. He was telling me that he wanted to keep the Farm buildings and restore them but HBC Planning said no. Then he put plans in to demolish and rebuild using the same stone they said no again.The buildings which were lovely and could have been restored have now been left so long that might not be possible as they are very damp. So he is in between a rock and a hard place but having lived here so long I know a lot of people so I asked one of them if he could help Ian and he said yes. They have spoken so hopefully there might be a better outcome. 
Then someone informed me that there has been a change of builder at the old Pannal Ash College/Police Training College and they were demolishing buildings. A few years ago a friend Margaret was Secretary there and she and her boss Terry were wondering what to do with all the memorabilia there was from when it was a school. Light bulb moment "have a word with Anne Smith." so they did and Bas and I went up to meet them. Were shown round the buildings which were lovely all fully furnished. I had been in the Memorial Library years before that when I wrote its history and took an invoice of what it contained. I asked what is happening to it. Answer probably demolished and everything thrown in a skip. Upshot was I came home and applied to have the building listed as a War Memorial as that is what it was built for and dedicated as a Library to the boys from the school who had fallen in the First World War and opened by the Earl of Harewood. I have written the full story in my latest book. Not out yet but I am seeing my publisher next week. The Memorial Library was listed by me in 2014. The builders have been informed so it will not be demolished together with the Headmaster's House. In its hey day what a wonderful spot. It had everything.
Oh I nearly forgot I have everything silver cups presented to the boys, photos, their magazine.I was their skip and my husband said as husband's do "where are you going to put it all?" and I said as all wives do "I'll find a place" and I did.  
I had a walk yesterday up to Whinney Lane and sadly all those houses 240 odd and a school. Whinney Lane will be closed to traffic if they get their way and I bet they will widen the road by removing the verges changing from a Lane to a highway. Some of the houses at Castle Hill will have homes right at the bottom of their gardens with windows facing them. I am not chuffed with HBC as I think they are the worse Council we have ever had but they might be only be  partly to blame as they did ask farmers in the district to approach them with land for building. Castle Hill Farm is also a lovely house and it will remain. 
I am not golfing as yet another accident that I will not bore you with so at home a bit more. Now if I had a dog it would be saying "how lovely to see you, I like having you around and I love you" but I have cats. who say " what are you doing here all the time". 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,
    Nice to see your BLOG. It looks like I might be your first commenter. A reader of my web-site "http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~bentleygt/history/pannal/" was enquiring about BENTLEYs of Pannal Hall (to whom I am not related) and he pointed me to your BLOG.
    I will update my web-site reference to you to include a link to your BLOG.
    I notice your post sometime back about past shops in Pannal, was missing Websters at Pannal End.

    BTW I have some experience with Blogger, so if you would like any help (from afar) tweaking your BLOG layout, colours, fonts, sizes etc, drop me a line.

    Graeme BENTLEY, Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,
    Nice to see your BLOG. It looks like I might be your first commenter. A reader of my web-site "http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~bentleygt/history/pannal/" was enquiring about BENTLEYs of Pannal Hall (to whom I am not related) and he pointed me to your BLOG.
    I will update my web-site reference to you to include a link to your BLOG.
    I notice your post sometime back about past shops in Pannal, was missing Websters at Pannal End.

    BTW I have some experience with Blogger, so if you would like any help (from afar) tweaking your BLOG layout, colours, fonts, sizes etc, drop me a line.

    Graeme BENTLEY, Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anne, My name is Sandra and I have some questions about Pannal duck pond id like to ask you but am unfamiliar with how blogging works - I have now 'lost' 3 long messages I've written here! please can you let me know this one has worked - i'm guessing i'll have to keep a look out on this site. (its not helped by me forgetting how to use my new laptop, deep sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Pannal duck ponds proper name is Pannal Mill Pond and yes ask your questions and I will see if I can help. Sorry just seen your comment.

      Delete

I would love to hear any comments that you have.