Friday 30 October 2020

Pannal and Country Parks

Having lived here nearly all my life I believe I know everywhere in Harrogate and I have been walking the County Parks. Killinghall and Knox. As I did so I have been wondering why there is not a Country Park in Pannal.  Almsford Bank is mentioned in a council blurb as a leisure area but we have the Crimple Valley and it would make a great Country Park. When you think how important Pannal was long before Harrogate was thought of I do not feel we have come off very well. Many years ago there was a Director of Technical Services called Ken Corri and I happened to be sitting next to him at a meeting and he said to me you live in Pannal then showed me a map and pointed at the Bilton area and said this is what I want  Pannal to be like, many more houses. Now alive or dead his wish is coming true. That is why I think it is time we, the residents approached our Parish Council and our Councillor and made our feelings known. Bilton and Knox residents have a lovely area to walk in which will never be built upon. We in Pannal know HBC own the Crimple Valley having purchased it from Bentley of Pannal Hall in 1963. The part I am talking of is the land this side of the A61 Leeds Road from behind St Robert's Church.  The Crimple Valley the other side of the Leeds Road also owned by the council and supposedly kept as a lung separating Pannal from Harrogate. That land is doomed and will be built upon. I would like the area including Sandy Bank Quarry to the Leeds Road and up to All Saints Court to be a Country Park. Left wild as it was and perhaps the wild flowers will return. It was so beautiful before it was ploughed up. This area is always under threat from HBC plans for a gypsy site, plans for housing. I am so very afraid for it as it will in time be attacked again. Look around everyone all the area we have is the Recreation Ground and Woods and a small grassed area called Pannal Green. We deserve better. We deserve the Crimple Valley as a Country Park and we deserve to know it will be safe for future generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.