Saturday 10 October 2020

Pannal and Whinney Lane

 On one of my walks around Pannal I thought I will go up Cobler Hill and Whinney Lane and round. Very pleasant to start with then when I reached Whinney Lane devastation. Rows and rows of large houses so very close to existing houses on Castle hill. so very many of them.  One lady I met lives in a bungalow and has a large house looming over her bungalow and garden with windows looking into her bedroom etc. The developers had a meeting with residents and what they said to local enquiries is "we are here to make a profit". In other words we don't care. I listened to Week in Parliament this morning and Boris Johnston said re the development of many many houses we do not want to destroy countryside. Obviously his words do not mean Whinney Lane which is a Lane no longer as houses are being built both sides of it so it is now being widened. There is a "builders footpath" for one to walk down (no cars allowed except for resident access). Go and have a look and you will have a first hand view of countryside being turned into tarmac and buildings. It is so very sad as in  the old days it was so pleasant to walk to the Squinting Cat (when it was a lovely country pub before being altered to what it is now. At least they should benefit from the housing. Who remembers the lovely oak panelled rooms and how they were one of the first places to put meals on with a carvery on a Sunday? Our day for gardening and we were so often stopped by people in cars saying is this the way to the Squinting Cat? Also who remembers the little railway and small engine that ran round the garden and tooks the kids on rides?

On a sort of lighter note my long haired cat Tigs disappeared for three days. I was worried and went round the quarry as I know there are foxes there and as we back/front onto to it it is where she goes. Went round the school to see if she had been shut in saw Jane head teacher and mentioned why I was there. She said she would keep an eye open for her. Next morning the stupid cat wanders in without a care in the world no shame. Last time I am looking for you and getting soaking in the process I said, she just looked and said and where is the food I am starving. I did email Jane and tell her stupid was back. 

Since I published my email address last blog people have been using it to ask about people and places in Pannal. Great I am happy to answer queries. My blog can be read by just going onto google and typing Anne Smith Pannal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.