Thursday 8 May 2014

Share of Pannal sadness

Oh dear first Joan Newby has died. Not long after Ken. They came to live in Burn Bridge after we came to Pannal so we have known them a long time. Stalwarts of St Robert's church until they were deemed too old to help. Joan was on the Pannal Village Society and was always willing to help with teas and coffees. A very nice couple apart from their fanatical devotion to the Liberal party. I am completely as they say catholic in my choice of candidate. In local elections I vote for the person whom I think will do the job properly. Having said that what is there left for in Pannal to fight for?
Our neighbour Geoff Holberry has died after a long illness. We shall miss him as he was always such a cheery soul. We look after each others houses and I always seemed to be at the sink (think I am chained to it and only let out on a long leash to garden) when he used to appear to say they were off to foreign parts and could I water the tomatoes. Knowing his dislike of cats I had to appeal to his better nature once, when my friends who came in and fed the cats were away, and ask him to do the honours and bless him he did.
I do wish May would buck up as I love the long evenings but they seem to be wet as of now. We are still walking locally (by that I mean Knaresborough, Ripon, Otley) at the moment as there are so many highways and byways to rediscover. Nearly fifty years of walking this area there are not many places we do not know. I hope you all have a good summer and I shall be writing again but I hope with cheerful news. My book on a Scottish childhood is being printed as we speak and will be published in Scotland fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.