Thursday 28 July 2022

Pannal, Malcolm Neesam and me

 I attended the funeral today of my friend the great Malcolm Neesam and I was one of the speakers so here is what I said and everyone seemed to like it.

I have known Malcolm over fifty years and the Malcolm I knew is different from the Malcolm Neesam most people knew. We first met at a Harrogate Society meeting in 2972 and found we had a great love for old films, Laurel and Hardy and opera. Malcolm love Wagner. I loved Elvis but we managed.

When I first visited Malcolm's house there is a framed picture on his landing and and I said is that your father and he said no Wagner. He loved his music and also spoke fluent German, Malcolm had a girlfriend when we first met and he finished with her and I said why did you break up and he said she did not like Wagner. Malcolm wrote his autobiography in 2004 called Buckram Binding and I have a copy. I received one and one went to America. He wanted to know what I thought of it and I loved it. Why ~Buckram Binding well there was an antique book shop at 81 Station Parade run by Mr Archie Miles and Malcolm used to frequent it. Mr Miles looked for rare books for Malcolm and having discovered one and shown it to him Malcolm handed it back saying I would prefer it buckram bound. So after that he was always known to Mr Miles as Buckram Binding. Indeed when his mother required him to help her carry shopping when visiting town she would call in at the bookshop and Mr Miles would say Buckram Binding is upstairs. I must say and you might find this hard to believe but Malcolm was at times a naughty little boy who played practical jokes on his relatives. Malcolm and my husband shared a love of practical jokes which at times was a complete pain. Hard to believe the Mr Neesam that appeared in public lecturing really had a wicked sense of humour. One time we went to a talk by a lady who came gallumping on stage with all the mannerisms of Joyce Grenfell. I turned to look at Malcolm and his glasses were steamed up as he was trying not to laugh during this serious talk. I have never been Captain of the Girls' Hockey Team but Malcolm wrote in his book History of Harrogate under the Improvement Commissioners 1841-1884  "for a splendid effort as Captain of the Girls' Hockey Team, Anne Smith from the Editor Malcolm Neesam" and this was presented to me at the Swan Hotel by Malcolm who read out what he had written to much applause from all who were present, It was so embarrassing but Malcolm just stood there smiling and applauding.

We will all miss him dreadfully, he was our friend and there will never be another Malcolm Neesam ever as my children say. He was a constant in our lives and added to it with laughter and kindness, I will finish by saying when you all go home those of you who have a copy of Malcolm's book Wells and Swells Volume 2 put it on a chair stand back and have a look. I said to Malcolm the banner across James Street that says Long Live the King looks like a big bra and he just smiled and said I know. 

 I can't write any more but I felt that Malcolm was present at Christ Church and was sitting there smiling and giving the occasional royal wave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.