Friday 22 July 2022

Pannal quiet?

 Hurrah school has broken up for the summer holidays. For six weeks we in Main Street will be able to get in and out of our drives. We don't have to make appointments before 8.30am or after 3.40pm. We are free to come in and out when we want. Although I must admit the parents cars are not there for all that long morning and afternoon but it is nice to have the freedom to come and go all the day. One thing none of us want is double yellow lines as we all have families that visit and park on the road. By none of us I mean we who live here. People that talk about yellow lines do not live on Main Street. 

I have a big funeral to go to next week as our lovely friend Malcolm's funeral service is at Christ Church. People were asking me what can we do to honour this man who has given so much to Harrogate. I said no to a statue as Malcolm did not like statues as pigeons do and the idea of having a street named after him made him throw up his hands in horror because of all the houses developers are being allowed to build.I HAVE THOUGHT OF A FITTING     TRIBUTE TO MALCOLM - APART FROM PUTTING A PLAQUE ON HIS HOUSE WHICH WILL BE DONE MALCOLM AND I MET UP WITH REPRESENTATIVES FROM VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS AND HARROGATE BOROUGH COUNCIL IN NOVEMBER TO ASK HBC TO KEEP THEIR PROMISE AND RESTORE THE COLONNADE IN THE VALLEY GARDENS BY REROOFING IT. A TRIBUTE TO MALCOLM AND ALSO TO THE PEOPLE OF HARROGATE.

I am speaking at the funeral as Malcolm asked me to but my speech will not be about Harrogate's greatest historian it will be about our lovely friend of over fifty years who was funny and kind.  Incidentally I am now the only historian left in the area. Music from Jaws being played here. 

When I write these blogs I get comments but one I had was from "unknown" saying I knew your family when you lived in Scotland and then said "don't be a stranger". Don't know what that means. Why doesn't "Unknown" make himself known - only polite to do so.

Fantastic hot weather I love it not sure Marble and Tigs did. They did not complain but there was a lot of noise going on which on second thought could have been complaints. 

6 comments:

  1. Sorry Anne I thought I put my name on my comment We lived at 23 Aberfeldy st John/Jack Murphy was a good mate as was Gordon Gentles .and also the Jeffery family.in Walter st .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. Did you get a copy of Two Wee Lassies Up a Close? Do you know what happened to Gordon Jeffrey? I lost my brother David aged only 16 to pneumonia. Jack Murphy was murdered. Still in touch with Terry.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anne yes got your book , many thanks I knew about David i think that Gordon let people know , yes I was aware about the pennicilin reaction and I read in your book about Jack as for what happened to Gordon dont know , well retired by now one thinks he would be in late seventies ,look after yourself .

      Delete
    3. Alan do you still live in Glasgow? If so is there any way I can try to trace Gordon? I would like to find him.

      Delete
    4. Hello Anne no I have lived in Souh sea as Jacks sister once said ,thats the South seas as in the South Pacific as for Gordon maybe you could try the Dennistoun Baptist church thats the last I heard where he was .,look after yourself .

      Delete
    5. Thanks Alan I will try there. Will let you know.

      Delete

I would love to hear any comments that you have.