Tuesday 28 June 2022

Pannal and my sadness

I have been supporting my very lovely friend Malcolm who died in the early hours of this morning ( I got a phone call at 3am) at Hampden House. Poor Malcolm over the past few of years has had a brain tumour, both hips replaced, bowel cancer, a stoma bag, and the killer liver cancer. Today was his birthday. Thank goodness I saw him yesterday..We have known Malcolm for over fifty years, Malcolm Neesam was Harrogate's premier historian having written very many books on Harrogate and he just managed to attend the launching of his latest two volumes Wells and Swells. Malcolm was main speaker at the launching of my book Pannal and Burn Bridge Their Stories and we shall miss him dreadfully. The staff at Hampden House were so lovely and when Jamie, his nephew, and I went up had placed a rose on his pillow which was a lovely thought Jamie and I  were very touched. A very sad day for all Malcolm's family and friends. Their will be many tributes to him from all over Harrogate.I have asked the Harrogate Civic Society to have a plaque on his house so that he will never be forgotten and he deserves it as he has done so much for Harrogate and was a great supporter of Pannal which he came to often. 

On another note going up Church Lane is getting even busier and the cars coming down Church Lane are not always on the right side of the white line. I slowed down for two horses and riders approaching the brow of the hill and was hooted at by the car behind me!! Yesterday going up Church Lane I know the matrix is there and drive accordingly just below thirty miles as I want to see a smiley face when the car behind me overtook extremely fast and I do hope he has been fined or whatever they do. Also no doubt we shall have the road gangs back repairing the roads as we are having some "extremely" heavy traffic going up and down through the village. 

I am still answering queries after the Jubilee which is lovely people wanting to know about Pannal. So far can answer them. Have not been stumped yet. 


On a happier note I went with my friend Jenny to Harlow Carr Show last Friday and the gin was lovely. Nuff said. 










1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your old friend I knew your family when you lived in Aberfeldy st also your brother David and his friend Gordon Gentles look after yourself and dont be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear any comments that you have.