Monday 23 September 2024

Pannal and he Gas Man Goeth

 At last all is peace again. No barriers or cones.  Holes in road filled in and holes in gardens filled in too. One thing I have noticed is that the cars are back rat running and my goodness they have certainly speeded up. Quite scary sometimes the speed they go. Main Street is a 20mph zone as we have a school and we are a village not a race track. 

In my last blog I was under the impression that the Harrogate Civic Society were running the Heritage Open Days events. No Heritage Open Days is a nation wide event taking place all over the Country. The Harrogate Civil Society just included Harrogate's events in their Newsletter. I did my bit doing a Walk round Pannal. We had a warm sunny day and competed with the gas men for road space. Could not go as far up Church Lane or Woodcock Hill as I normally do as the roads were partially closed and far too busy to take a group of twenty along but it was enjoyable non the less. We went up and along Dam Side (Mill Lane)  round St Robert's Churchyard and into St Robert's Church and I told them about their history. We had the pleasure of welcoming two ladies from Leeds with baby in pram and one lady brought her nice little dog. Enjoying the walk was Judith Wilson Pat and Tom Lamb's daughter. Tom was like me a historian and we loved nothing better than spreading maps out and chatting about Pannal our village. We were also accompanied by Geoff. Geoff and his wife Stella organise all the local HOD Walks and Talks. 

Unfortunately a friend of mine died, Ron Colquitt from Burn Bridge and I did his Eulogy at St Roberts for his Service. John Smith our lovely Vicar came to talk to me before the Service and everyone from Lancashire read the Service Celebrating Ron's Life and saw Rev John Smith and Eulogy Anne Smith and all assumed I was his wife. Obviously I disillusioned them. 

I do not know when I started looking and planting the patio beside St Robert's Church with the Information Board that I also did. Well the writing and photos not the actual Board as that was a gentleman from Spofforth. Saturday I went down to sweep up the leaves forgetting that the well attended Beer Festival was on. So there was I feeling like Cinderella whilst everyone was drinking wine and beer. Then the wind got up and I was chasing leaves all over. Did what I could then went into the churchyard and clipped all round the War grave of Arthur Knowles son of Thomas and Sarah Knowles of Mill Lane who died of his wounds at Birmingham Hospital in 1916. He is buried under a tree but his grave is now to be seen. There are three War Graves in the churchyard. 

It is now wet and cold and Tigs is now in wet and cold. So a dry off and a sleep on a chair. Order of the day!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.