Friday 19 October 2012

A walk from Pannal

Now this was my bright idea. Catch the number 36 bus (change from going by car) from Spacey Houses and go to Ripon and have a walk alongside the river. First we had coffee in Booths, which was recommended to us by a chap we met on the train, and jolly good it and the scones were too. Proceeded past the Cathedral and joined the path alongside the river. Past The Water Rat (just had coffee we will go on our way back) and carried on under the old railway line rejoined the river and through the trees. Sun was shining, it was fairly warm and the walk was good. Bit slippy in places as it had rained during the nights of  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We eventually passed large sewage works and joined a path which led out to a main road. My shoes were muddy there was a great big puddle by the path I put one foot in thinking it was shallow it was not and I fell in full length in this great muddy puddle. Bas was walking slightly ahead. He heard the splash turned round to find me face down in the muddy water. I must admit at that point that I was laughing as I had visions of that Dawn French sketch in The Vicar of Dibley. I was soaked and covered in mud, trousers, jumper and top. I remembered sewage works and we retraced our steps to the locked gates. I saw a man filling his lorry with sewage? and shouted to him. He came over and I said remember that Dawn French sketch well I have just done the same. Is there anywhere I could wash as I cannot get on the bus like this. He let us in we had to go and find the man with the keys to their toilets where there was a washbasin and I did the best I could. Denims were saturated. I turned my jumper back to front and washed the arms and front of my top, my hands and face. Even wetter if possible now but slightly presentable as mud had not shown up on denims as yet. He let me out of the gate, asked if I was ok but could not contain himself any longer. Good job I saw the funny side of it. Don't think Bas did. He thought I was mad. Long walk back to bus station, no drink at Water Rat. On bus, went upstairs. Good job seats were plastic. Walked back home from Spacey Houses, threw clothes in washing machine. They had to be washed twice. Had a shower. Then saw I had one knee all cuts and bruises and like a balloon. Feeling very sore today, knee has gone down a bit but I still snigger when I think of the sight that greeted Bas as he turned round to find me in the middle of a large puddle. Have stayed in today in case I was tempted to throw myself into another muddy puddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.