Sunday 28 October 2012

Walking round Pannal

Who I meet and talk to. A lady from Burn Bridge rang and asked me to tell her about the history of Burn Bridge which I was quite happy to do. Went round to see her and we had a nice chat. I told her about the old Malthouse and how there used to be a white bust of Queen Victoria at the top. When the building was demolished I do not know what happened to said bust. At that time the building was owned by Cecil Margolis. Anyone remember him? He was quite a character. Bringing the first supermarket to Harrogate. It was called U Save. Cecil rang me up one day and asked me to stand for the Council as an Independant (as he was) then, blow me down, the Conservatives and Liberals also rang the same day. I said no I am better working outside the council than inside as I do not want to toe the party line. Joined The Harrogate Society and became Chairman. Then Chairman of The Friends of the Valley Gardens.(All in the past).  I then met Judith daughter of Tom and Pat Lamb who said her dad Tom is getting forgetful which is so sad as I relied on him to help with Pannal older people and places of his boyhood. Alan Shutt was next and we were talking about the plans for Sandy Bank Quarry and fields beyond. I know about it going back to after First World War so have written to Harrogate Borough Council with details. I am not on the committee of the Pannal Village Society now having resigned in the summer but said I will help with history of the village, the Christmas lights and also keep the little garden and patio area round the interpretation and notice boards tidy.  I am writing another book and also helping with some film work which will keep me busy as well as the golf, walking, gardening and this blog. All of which I love. I am still receiving comments about people missing my column and how they  have cancelled the Harrogate Advertiser. I likened it to The Metro. Very sad as it was a quality broadsheet now it is in tabloid form. Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.