Sunday 10 May 2020

Pannal and VE Day

Having lived in the same house in Pannal nearly all my life 55 years - where has the time gone? I know nearly everyone but not everyone knows everyone but going out to clap on a Thursday at 8pm has brought people together. I thought ok I shall put notes through all my neighbours letter boxes asking them to come out on Friday 8th May VE Day with a drink - beer, spirits, wine soft drinks tea if you fancy and we would all meet up Main Street and this end of Rosedale and if they agreed to give me the thumbs up when we met on the Thursday 7th. Overwhelming thumbs up. So I put out the flags I had including my Yorkshire and Scotland ones wandered down the drive with my glass of beer and everyone came out. It was really lovely. I introduced people who did not know each other. The evening was a brilliant success and I had so many messages from neighbours saying thank you we really enjoyed it. Thursdays now we will all gather and we will all know each other. Friendships will have been made and hopefully kept after lock down ends. Whenever that will be. A thought I had no matter what one thinks of Margaret Thatcher she was a scientist same as Angels Merkle and I think we would have fared better. Boris was too complacent to start with.With hindsight the virus and isolation will be looked back on and oh yes it will be decided UK could have done better.This is not like the Second World War. This is unheard of and the virus is world wide and very very scary. At least in the war there was entertainment and pubs and restaurants were open and we had Winston Churchill saying we will win and the moral was high. I do not remember the War but my Dad who was a War hero having many medals and being decorated - DSM (Distinguished Service Medal) -by King George VI started as a boy seaman and was in the Royal Navy for 22 years being in many battles and very nearly loosing his life on many an occasion. He Passed over the Bar ( Naval parlance for died) in Harrogate and had a Military Funeral with the sailors of HMS Forest Moor in attendance. Mum meanwhile like many Mums at home looking after children and dreading THE telegram coming.We survived and we will survive again against this unseen enemy. Obey the rules and stay safe. When I clap on a Thursday I clap not only for the NHS but more so for us, our children and grandchildren. We are all being brilliant.So give yourselves a clap.
We are all loving the lack of traffic in the village. We can all hear bird song. Everyone speaks to everyone else and smiles. This has come out of lock down and it is wonderful. Long may that continue. Lack of traffic won't and everyone is dreading that.
Howard West who is Chairman of Pannal and Burn Bridge Parish Council has finished writing his bit in the Harrogate Advertiser about Pannal but I have heard that a lady in Burn Bridge has taken the column over.
Tigs and Marble love me being at home and when we go out to clap they come too. They wander down the drive to see everyone. They are turning more like dogs every day. They even follow me down the village when I go to post a letter.
WE shall have big celebrations when this is over. Watch this space.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments that you have.