Thursday 1 June 2023

Pannal Update

 Bit of an update. Still not right but getting there. Long Covid is not good. I am out and about but still not 100% and still not golfing. Just doing reasonable walks. One of my very favourite places is the Crimple Valley. I can spend nearly all day wandering round it. It is so pretty at the moment. The buttercups are amazing. So lovely to see them and the hawthorn in bloom. Area was all churned up years ago when the cows were on there then the sheep when it was a working farm. We came to live here in 1965 after living in Kirkby Overblow and have always loved Pannal. Our four children were all born here. Well no, Susan was born when we lived at Kirkby |Overblow. Wonder if we still hold the record at Pannal School of all four children attending Pannal School from when they started until they left and all attended Harrogate Grammar School or as we were informed by the Education Authority Otley Road Comprehensive!!!

Walking across Pannal Green I was reminded that I made an appeal when I was part of Pannal and Burn Bridge Village Society for a "Christmas" tree and wouldn't it be lovely to have lights. Both appeals were granted and we now have the lovely display at Christmas. Lights were added on the trees at the entrance to Pannal Green when the three boys from Pannal Green were tragically killed together with another innocent car driver..These lights were given when Yasmin past owner of Harrogate News contacted me as the boys delivered papers and their customers donated the money. Still thinking about Pannal as I walked I am most proud of all I have achieved for Pannal - The very first Tree Preservation Order, in the whole district, TPO 1 Pannal 1969, the saving of Spacey Houses Farm buildings (unfortunately could not save Spacey Houses Public House as the owners were "smart" and took the roof off in the early hours of the morning before I could have it listed. Saving of Dr Kellner's house The Horst on Westminster Drive. He was headmaster of Horst College now called Fieldhurst on the Leeds Road at the top of Pannal.. Writing the very first book ever written on Pannal then writing three more. Not finished yet as I would like to have a Country Park in the Crimple Valley. Do you know that before the housing came on the Dunlopillo site we had over 400 houses built starting in the mid 1960s. We were Pannal Village I like to think we still are. Also in the 1960s there were so many different types of birds Pied wagtail, thrush, starlings,many blackbirds and sparrows, goldfinch, tree creepers, woodpeckers and without fail every spring for about fifteen years we heard the cuckoo in Sandybank Quarry. Now we have predominately rooks and magpies and mentioning magpies. My poor little blind cat was lying full stretch in the sunshine in the garden when a magpie landed on her and pecked her. I was in the garden and saw this happening. She got such a fright and not only her I may add.   

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Covid experience I am sure you will be ok we all enjoy your blog about Pannal so from your old Aberfeldy st neighbour keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear any comments that you have.